Listen Live
Close
Help in the Heartland. Central Indiana flood relief. When the waters rise, Hoosiers rise higher. Supporting American Red Cross disaster relief.
Senate Forges Ahead On Vote For Aid Bill For Israel And Ukraine
Source: Anna Moneymaker / Getty

INDIANAPOLIS — Gov. Mike Braun is asking the federal government for more help as Indiana continues recovering from deadly storms and flooding.

Braun said Friday that Indiana submitted an expedited request to FEMA for a major disaster declaration covering 54 counties.

The severe weather has killed at least seven people, injured others and damaged homes, buildings and roads. More than 1,000 Hoosiers have been displaced.

Indiana already has state disaster assistance available, while President Donald Trump previously approved an emergency declaration that provides some federal help.

A major disaster declaration would go further, potentially unlocking millions of dollars in federal assistance for homeowners and other individuals, along with additional public assistance.

Braun said the request would provide both individual and public assistance in the 54 counties if FEMA approves it.

FEMA had not responded to Braun’s request as of Friday morning.

FEMA and the Indiana Department of Homeland Security have been assessing damage across several counties to determine what additional resources are needed.

Braun has said that if the federal request is denied, Indiana has enough reserves to continue helping communities recover.

Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett also issued a local disaster emergency declaration Friday as severe weather recovery continues in Marion County.