Experts have warned for years that cases of gonorrhea and syphilis are surging. While STD’s had initially declined during first months of the pandemic, they resurged by the end of 2020.
The bulk of diagnostic testing shifted away from STD’s to focus exclusively on Covid. With fewer testing resources, more people went undetected, potentially spreading infection to sexual partners. Total cases of sexually transmitted diseases have now hit 2.5 million, a 30-year high.
Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) highlights the issue around cities across the country.
Surely, Indianapolis does not have a problem with STD’s?
Memphis, Tennessee, comes out as America’s STD capital where around one in 70 people are infected.
There were several notable shifts for the better and worse in the rankings. Norfolk, Virginia (1,069 per 100,000), which was at 29, has moved up to number 10.
Here are the top 5 cities with high cases of STD’s:
- Memphis, TN: 1,460 STDs per 100,000
- Jackson, MS: 1,358 STDs per 100,000
- Columbia, SC: 1,350 STDs per 100,000
- Baltimore, MD: 1,327 STDs per 100,000
- Philadelphia, PA: 1,200 STDs per 100,000
Indianapolis does rank on the list. At number 20 in the nation, the circle city is averaging 950 STD cases per 100,000.
When we break it down to specific infections, Indianapolis stacks up like this:
|STD cases per 100k
Indiana has an especially high rate of chlamydia, ranking 20th in the country according to the most recent data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Additionally, the state is ranked 35th for primary and secondary syphilis, 43rd for congenital syphilis, and 21st for gonorrhea.
Where can I go to get tested?
If you’re concerned about visiting your regular doctor or can’t afford the cost of private testing, a community testing center may be able to help. While community testing centers may charge a fee for STD testing, it’s common to find free or low-cost testing from these resources:
- Southside Health Center of Indianapolis: 935 E. Hanna Avenue Indianapolis, IN 46227: (317) 205-8088
- BU Wellness Network1712 North Meridian Street. Suite 200 Indianapolis, Indiana 46202: (317) 931-0292
- Damien Center: 26 North Arsenal Avenue Indianapolis, IN 46201: (317) 632-0123
- Step Up, Inc.: 4755 Kingsway Dr. Indianapolis, IN 46205, Multiple Indianapolis (317) 259-7013
- Bell Flower Clinic: 640 Eskenazi Ave. Indianapolis, IN 46202: (317) 221-8300
- Pence: Trump Owes it to the American People to Debate
- Murder Suspect Kevin Mason Captured
- NWS: Expect a Rainy Wednesday Across Indiana
- FOUND: Momo the Monkey on the Loose: Indianapolis’ East Side on High Alert
- Pacers GM: Contract Extension Talks with Buddy Hield Are “At a Halt” But That Doesn’t Mean They’re Done
The Dangers of Brown Friday & How You Can Prepare for the Worst
Police: Woman Killed, Infant Hurt in Head-On Crash with Semi-Truck
Fitness Studios Say Holding Company Has Not Paid Employees
ISP: Truck Driver Killed After Exiting Vehicle
Small Plane Crashes Near Shelbyville Airport, Two People Dead
Feds, Rush County Sheriff Search Home In Valerie Tindall's Disappearance
Fishers Marching Band Appears in 2023 Macy's Parade
Red, White, & Bowl With Hammer & Nigel Presented By Jack Daniels