The Hoosier State is rich in culture and history, however there are some interesting, often outdated, laws on the books that will leave you questioning them and wondering why they were implemented in the first place. Indiana also contains some interesting roadside attractions. Let’s dive in!
Weird Laws In Indiana
- You either have to pick kissing or having a mustache in the state of Indiana, it is illegal to choose both.
- You are not allowed to spit on the sidewalks in Terre Haute.
- On Main Street in Evansville, it is illegal for you to have vehicle lights on at any time.
- You may not bathe between October and March.
- In Warsaw, it is illegal to chuck your couch at your neighbor.
- In Beech Grove, it’s unlawful to eat watermelon at the park.
- It is illegal for bars and restaurants to give drinks away for free.
- It is illegal for a man to stand in a bar in the state of Indiana. Sit down, gentlemen!
- Horses have the right of way, you may not pass a horse on the street.
- In Gary, stay away from the theater, public streetcar, or movie house within four hours of eating garlic.
- State government officials may not participate in private duels.
- In Elkhart, barbers should not threaten to cut children’s ears.
- Forging a check in the state of Indiana is punishable by 100 flogs
- You may not catch fish with your bare hands.
- In Indiana, the legal value of pi is 3.
- Pedestrians crossing the highway at night are NOT allowed to wear any tail lights
- You may not force a monkey to smoke a cigarette.
Now that you know the rules, you can head forth with the confidence of a law abiding citizen. And as you’re out and about, perhaps consider these interesting things to see…
Interesting Things To See In Indiana
- The Indiana Dunes-This national park features a huge hilly desert just sitting there right off Lake Michigan in the northwestern corner of the state.
- Caves-In the central and southern portions of the state, you can explore caverns, canyons, and waterfalls.
- The Shoe Tree-In Milltown, Indiana there is a tree that is covered with shoes. It is believed that the sneakers of Larry Bird hang from the branches.
- The World’s Largest Ball of Paint-In Alexandria hangs the world’s largest ball of paint. You can roll on another layer when you visit.
- Amish-Found mostly in the northeastern part of the state, you’ll find horse-drawn carriages and members of the Mennonite sect.
- World’s Largest Egg-The Mentone, Indiana Egg is made of concrete, weighs 3,000 pounds, and is about 10 feet high.
- Big Chair-On Us 31 heading north from Indy, you can find a big, yellow rocking chair. It’s called the “Big Chair”.
Do you have more roadside attractions to add to this list?
- NWS: Expect a Rainy Wednesday Across Indiana
- Murder Suspect Kevin Mason Captured
- Pence: Trump Owes it to the American People to Debate
- FOUND: Momo the Monkey on the Loose: Indianapolis’ East Side on High Alert
- Pacers GM: Contract Extension Talks with Buddy Hield Are “At a Halt” But That Doesn’t Mean They’re Done
The Dangers of Brown Friday & How You Can Prepare for the Worst
Police: Woman Killed, Infant Hurt in Head-On Crash with Semi-Truck
Small Plane Crashes Near Shelbyville Airport, Two People Dead
Feds, Rush County Sheriff Search Home In Valerie Tindall's Disappearance
Fishers Marching Band Appears in 2023 Macy's Parade
Indiana State Police K9 Koda Receives Life-Saving Armor
Indianapolis Firefighter Among More than 20 Arrested in Child Solicitation Sting
ISP: Truck Driver Killed After Exiting Vehicle