INDIANAPOLIS — Derek Oechsle has been sentenced to 55 years in prison for the murder of Christopher Smith.
In November 2019, Smith was at a bar on Indy’s south side with his bachelor party, celebrating his marriage.
At some point, Oechsle got into a fight with someone in the bar. When Smith tried to break it up, Oechsle shot him. A member of Smith’s party then shot Oechsle. Smith fell to the floor and later died. Oechsle ran away before collapsing in the parking lot.
In April, Oechsle was convicted of murder and criminal recklessness.
- FOUND: Momo the Monkey on the Loose: Indianapolis’ East Side on High Alert
- Pence: Trump Owes it to the American People to Debate
- NWS: Expect a Rainy Wednesday Across Indiana
- Pacers GM: Contract Extension Talks with Buddy Hield Are “At a Halt” But That Doesn’t Mean They’re Done
- Murder Suspect Kevin Mason Captured
The Dangers of Brown Friday & How You Can Prepare for the Worst
Police: Woman Killed, Infant Hurt in Head-On Crash with Semi-Truck
Fitness Studios Say Holding Company Has Not Paid Employees
ISP: Truck Driver Killed After Exiting Vehicle
Small Plane Crashes Near Shelbyville Airport, Two People Dead
Feds, Rush County Sheriff Search Home In Valerie Tindall's Disappearance
Fishers Marching Band Appears in 2023 Macy's Parade
Red, White, & Bowl With Hammer & Nigel Presented By Jack Daniels