PLYMOUTH, Ind.–An autopsy performed on Mercedes Lain’s body helped determine the 11-month-old died of blunt force trauma. Her body was found last Wednesday night near the Marshall-Starke County line.
Lain had been missing for several days. She was last in the care of Justin Miller, who led police to her body.
Miller is charged with neglect of a dependent, resulting in death. Lain’s parents, Tiffany Coburn and Kenneth Lain are also charged with neglect of a dependent for handing her over to Miller.
Miller faces the judge for the first time Tuesday morning.
Marshall County prosecutor Nelson Chipman, Jr., said last week that the parents did not give police a coherent story once they reported their child missing, and that drug use may have been a factor.
- Pence: Trump Owes it to the American People to Debate
- NWS: Expect a Rainy Wednesday Across Indiana
- Pacers GM: Contract Extension Talks with Buddy Hield Are “At a Halt” But That Doesn’t Mean They’re Done
- FOUND: Momo the Monkey on the Loose: Indianapolis’ East Side on High Alert
- Murder Suspect Kevin Mason Captured
The Dangers of Brown Friday & How You Can Prepare for the Worst
Police: Woman Killed, Infant Hurt in Head-On Crash with Semi-Truck
Small Plane Crashes Near Shelbyville Airport, Two People Dead
Feds, Rush County Sheriff Search Home In Valerie Tindall's Disappearance
ISP: Truck Driver Killed After Exiting Vehicle
Fishers Marching Band Appears in 2023 Macy's Parade
Fitness Studios Say Holding Company Has Not Paid Employees
Indianapolis Firefighter Among More than 20 Arrested in Child Solicitation Sting