STATEWIDE — It’s almost deer hunting season in Indiana.
With deer firearms season opening on Saturday, the Indiana DNR Division of Fish and Wildlife has a few reminders for hunters:
- Purchase your license in advance.
- You can buy a license online or from a licensed vendor.
- Know the regulations.
- Get familiar with the 2020-21 Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide.
- Prepare your equipment.
- Remember to CheckIN your harvest.
- Register harvested deer within 48 hours using the CheckIN Game system.
- Safely field dress your deer.
- Field dress and cool deer carcasses as soon as possible.
- Wear disposable gloves, use clean cutting equipment, and minimize contact with the deer’s brain or spinal tissues.
- Once finished, disinfect and clean all equipment and wash hands.
- Confirm with your processor.
- Some Indiana deer processors may have adjusted their hours, may not be taking full carcasses, or may not be taking deer at all.
- Have deer tested for Chronic Wasting Disease.
Visit the Indiana DNR website for more information about deer hunting and hunting season.