INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana High School Athletic Association has canceled this year’s boys basketball state tournament.
“It is with great sadness and disappointment that we inform Hoosiers of the cancellation of the remaining games of the 2020 IHSAA boys basketball tournament series,” IHSAA Commissioner Bobby Cox said in a statement. “While the Association maintained every hope of continuance, it is now evident those hopes are now unreachable.”
Cox said they made the decision after Governor Eric Holcomb announced all schools in the state will remain closed until at least May 1.
Previously, the IHSAA had postponed the regional round of the tournament, which was supposed to be played March 14.
This will be the first time in the history of IHSAA boys basketball — which started in 1910 — that there will not be a state champion.
As for sports during the spring season, Cox said an update will be announced at a later time.