As a traffic reporter, someone who begrudgingly details the daily vehicular calamity on the streets, I find this winter extremely unfulfilling. I’m glad for you, you safe driver you, but what about me? What’s my purpose? I know, just take me out to the barn and shoot me. Jam my remains into a freezer; “Traffic stew” feeds a family of eight. Stuff my carcass and hang me over the fireplace, then tie Christmas stockings to my appendages. Fill ’em with car wash coupons. Hollow out my skull and gift as a wine goblet, then lace the edges with road salt for a special “McCartyrita” (a delicacy on the south part of downtown).
Sorry. Ego = fragile. Deep breaths. Daddy will be here soon.
There are the potholes, they do exist. Not near as heavy as the winter of 2018 (DO YOU REMEMBER THE WINTER OF 2018 MY GAWD), but they’re there, and they’re awful, and they need to be filled.
So let the strip patching begin! Despite the name, this very not-so-sexy process patches large chunks of road, often creating delays and inconveniences for travelers in the strip patching zones. The Indianapolis Department of Public Works (DPW) says the first round of patching could start this week – maybe as early as Thursday, when the weather clears (did I mention how nice this winter has been? Sorry again. Messed it up #NotAGroundhog).
Here’s an interactive map and list of streets that crews are targeting first. I’ll send out an update when provided with one:
- Meridian St, 38th St to 56th St
- 79th St, Michigan Rd to Township Line Rd
- Moore Rd, 79th St to 86th St
- Traders Ln, Wilson Rd to Lafayette Rd
- 21st St, Tansel Rd to Country Club Rd
- Rockville Rd, Gasoline Alley to dead end
- Kessler Blvd W Dr, White River bridge to Westfield Blvd
- Country Club Rd, Rockville Rd to 10th St
- Belmont Ave, Minnesota St to Morris St
- 21st St, Wellesley Blvd to Post Rd
- Shadeland Ave, 21st St to Western Select Dr
- Emerson Ave, English Ave to Washington St
- Allisonville Rd, 62nd St to 71st St
- 75th St, Dean Rd to Binford Blvd
- Kessler Blvd E Dr, Allisonville Rd to Binford Blvd
- Southport Rd, US 31 to Shelby St
- Hanna Ave, Meridian St to East St
- Thompson Rd, High School Rd to Mann Rd
- Trotter Rd, County Line Rd to Camby Rd
Keep in mind that real people are fixing our streets, so please use construction zone driving rules when approaching an area that’s getting the business. You know, hands on wheel, eyes open, slow, lights on in the rain, phone bad, etc..
Matt Bair is the new voice of Indianapolis traffic, and can be followed on Twitter @WIBCTraffic.. Fans of Facebook can “like” WIBC Traffic for the latest traffic happenings and occasional frivolity. Tips? Call direct at (317) 684-8134 or the 93 WIBC Newsroom at (317) 637-6397.