The Indiana State Police is nearing the end of a challenging hiring season for law enforcement.
The application deadline for new recruits is March 27, and Public Information Officer Sgt. John Perrine told the Hammer and Nigel Show Wednesday that applications are down this year.
“We just don’t have the numbers coming to us in droves like they used to,” said Perrine. “But there are still a lot of good people out there that want to serve their community and the state of Indiana.”
Perrine said ISP is looking for quality candidates with good character, not perfect people with perfect backgrounds.
“We’re looking for good people who want to do the job,” he said.
Perrine also spoke to the hiring challenges police departments across the county currently face. He said it’s not just limited to law enforcement.
“I think across the board – not just police – a lot of companies and industries are struggling to find applicants and people that want to work,” said Perrine.
Perrine said the Indiana State Police is a great agency start a career if you have a desire to get into law enforcement.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must be at least 21 and less than 40 years of age when appointed as a police employee.
- Must meet a minimum vision standard (corrected or uncorrected) of 20/50 acuity in each eye and 20/50 distant binocular acuity in both eyes.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license to operate an automobile.
- Must be willing, if appointed, to reside and serve anywhere within the State of Indiana as designated by the Superintendent.
- Must be a high school graduate as evidenced by a diploma or general equivalency diploma (GED).
- Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits during the academy and probationary year.
- Military and Law Enforcement service purchase options.
- NEW take-home patrol car issued after completing the FTO period (includes off-duty use).
- Uniforms and over $9,000 of NEW equipment issued at no cost.
- 3 hours of on-duty physical training per week.
- 40 paid days of leave annually and 150 hours of New Parent Leave.
- Health/Vision/Dental and Life Insurance options for actives and retirees.
- Lifetime pension and deferred compensation w/State matching.
- Endless Opportunities and Career Advancement.
Click the link below to hear more from Public Information Officer Sgt. John Perrine’s interview with Hammer and Nigel.