INDIANAPOLIS — One racing fan said they are receiving death threats after they posted video and photos online of a packed house at the Indianapolis Speedrome from an event hosted at the race track over the weekend.
In the video they posted, it appeared to be a standing room only crowd in what the Speedrome said was a sold-out house for the Saturday night event. The photos and videos also show that hardly anyone there was wearing a mask.
“People were supposed to be six feet apart,” the anonymous person said to WISH-TV. “There were even signs everywhere that said you must remain six feet about, but literally people were elbow-to-elbow and people falling on top of each other.”
They said children and adults were even sitting on the walkways.
“I’ve been going to Speedrome since I was two years old,” the person added. “I have never seen that place so busy, other than maybe some of their bigger events.”
Events are supposed to be capped at 25-percent capacity in Marion County, according to the latest information from Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett’s office and the county health department.
Indianapolis Speedrome posted on its Facebook page at around 6:45 Saturday evening that they had “reached their capacity limit as set by Marion County” but did not indicate when they stopped selling tickets to get in the gates. They added that the “got way more people than expected.”
The person said they have been getting death threats and other threatening messages on social media after they posted the photos and videos online.
“I was receiving death threats to me, to my family, to my home,” they said. “I have received pictures of my home.”
“I will hunt you down,” one message read. “I will find you and you will get the a** whoopin’ no man or child has ever known.”
So far, there has been no comment on the event from Mayor Hogsett and no further comment from the Indianapolis Sppedrome. The Marion County Health Department has acknowledged that they know about the event and said they’ll have more information on Monday.