INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – One person was injured and 13 people were displaced following an early-morning fire on the city’s east side, according to the Indianapolis Fire Department.
Just after midnight, crews responded to the 2100 block of Yorkshire Court for a reported fire. The flames broke out in an apartment unit.
Officers with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department were the first to arrive on scene and began breaking windows in order to get people out of the building.
IFD says firefighters then used ladders to rescue six people from a balcony.
Medics took one person to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
Investigators are unsure what caused the fire.
- FOUND: Momo the Monkey on the Loose: Indianapolis’ East Side on High Alert
- Murder Suspect Kevin Mason Captured
- NWS: Expect a Rainy Wednesday Across Indiana
- Pacers GM: Contract Extension Talks with Buddy Hield Are “At a Halt” But That Doesn’t Mean They’re Done
- Pence: Trump Owes it to the American People to Debate
The Dangers of Brown Friday & How You Can Prepare for the Worst
Police: Woman Killed, Infant Hurt in Head-On Crash with Semi-Truck
Fitness Studios Say Holding Company Has Not Paid Employees
ISP: Truck Driver Killed After Exiting Vehicle
Small Plane Crashes Near Shelbyville Airport, Two People Dead
Feds, Rush County Sheriff Search Home In Valerie Tindall's Disappearance
Fishers Marching Band Appears in 2023 Macy's Parade
Red, White, & Bowl With Hammer & Nigel Presented By Jack Daniels