SPEEDWAY, Ind. — The Indianapolis Motor Speedway has made more changes for next month’s Indianapolis 500.
IMS announced Tuesday afternoon that they are reducing the maximum attendance from 50 percent capacity to 25 percent. In addition, face coverings will be required for all in attendance.
IMS says it has prepared a detailed, nearly 100-page plan that provides guidelines and protocols for how the race will be run, including the reassignment of seats for social distancing purposes, the requirement of masks, temperature checks, and distribution of hand sanitizer.
The track will stop selling tickets for the August 23 race this Friday, which will further limit the number of people who can attend.
“In June, we announced the race was on and that attendance would be limited to no more than 50 percent of capacity,” said Penske Entertainment Corp. President & CEO Mark Miles. “We also made clear we intended to do things differently this year. By offering credits to fans who had previously purchased tickets, encouraging those over 65 to stay at home, limiting attendance in the infield, reducing tickets in our suites and promising fans their decision to not attend would not impact their seniority or right to renew tickets for 2021, we now anticipate attendance at approximately 25 percent of capacity. We will welcome fans back, and we have an aggressive plan in place, which has been developed through collaboration with national, state and local health experts.”
A conference call to go over the details is scheduled for Wednesday.