SPEEDWAY, Ind. — For the first time since 1997, USAC is returning to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
In early September, the same week leading up the Brickyard 400, the Driven2SaveLives BC39 as part of USAC Midget National Championship, will be run on a new quarter-mile dirt-track that is being built on the infield in Turn 3.
“Over the years, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has played such a critical part not only in the formation but also the successful growth of the United States Auto Club,” USAC President/CEO Kevin Miller said. “Our roots originated at IMS, and our passion continues to reside here. We are beyond thrilled for both our competitors and fans to add this race to our 2018 calendar.”
Races will be held over a two-day period starting on Wednesday September 5th. It will culminate in a final event with a $70,000 purse on Thursday, September 6th. Ticket prices will range from $35-50 and go on sale in mid-July.
“This is an exciting new chapter of the longtime relationship between USAC and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway,” IMS President J. Douglas Boles said. “The Speedway truly is The Greatest Race Course in the World, and adding a dirt track will create even more opportunities for fans to enjoy.”
The new dirt-track is being constructed out of Indiana clay, which arrived for grading this week. Safety barriers and catch fencing will be installed this summer and the track will be lit up with portable lights once race day arrives.
Created by former IMS owner Tony Hulman, USAC was the governing entity for the Indianapolis 500 from 1956 to 1997. USAC parted ways with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500 after the CART/IRL split became final late 90’s
Many dirt and asphalt racers have shown interest in the event. Boles says the speedway has reached out to Tony Stewart about running the race, but so far no confirmation.
Stewart used to be an avid midget racer with USAC until he retired for good in 2014 after he ran over and killed Kevin Ward at a race in New York. Stewart settled out of court in a wrongful death civil suit filed by Ward’s family.
(PHOTO: USAC/Indianapolis Motor Speedway)