WAYNE COUNTY, Ind.–Driving too fast is why police say a man rolled over a semi Friday morning in Wayne County.
It happened around 9 am. Randall Hilleary, 51, of Troy, Ohio was exiting I-70 west bound onto the 149A ramp to U.S. 35 South. Indiana State Police say Hilleary went to fast when going around the curve in the ramp and lost control of his 2011 Volvo semi, which was pulling a box trailer.
The semi ended up on the driver’s side.
Hilleary was taken to a nearby hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
It’s an incident that has police offering safety tips for the upcoming Fourth of July holiday, where many people will be driving.
- Leave early. Allow extra time to get to your destination.
- Don’t use cruise control in heavy traffic
- Always signal lane changes.
- Use headlights even during daylight hours
- Reduce your speed in rain and never drive into water flowing over the roadway.
- Decrease your speed in construction zones and obey posted speed limits
- Remember to slow down and move over for emergency vehicles, tow trucks, service trucks, and highway maintenance vehicles.
- Make sure you are well rested. A fatigued driver is as dangerous as an impaired driver
- Increase the distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you, especially in construction zones
- Don’t forget to watch for slow moving farm equipment on county and state roads
- Watch attentively for motorcycles. Check blind spots before changing lanes and look twice at intersections before you turn or pull out into traffic laws.
- Obey all traffic laws and never drive impaired
(PHOTO: Indiana State Police)
- NWS: Expect a Rainy Wednesday Across Indiana
- Murder Suspect Kevin Mason Captured
- FOUND: Momo the Monkey on the Loose: Indianapolis’ East Side on High Alert
- Pacers GM: Contract Extension Talks with Buddy Hield Are “At a Halt” But That Doesn’t Mean They’re Done
- Pence: Trump Owes it to the American People to Debate
The Dangers of Brown Friday & How You Can Prepare for the Worst
Police: Woman Killed, Infant Hurt in Head-On Crash with Semi-Truck
Small Plane Crashes Near Shelbyville Airport, Two People Dead
Feds, Rush County Sheriff Search Home In Valerie Tindall's Disappearance
ISP: Truck Driver Killed After Exiting Vehicle
Fishers Marching Band Appears in 2023 Macy's Parade
Fitness Studios Say Holding Company Has Not Paid Employees
Indianapolis Firefighter Among More than 20 Arrested in Child Solicitation Sting