Listen Live

BRANSON, Mo. — The duck boat that capsized during a storm in southwestern Missouri last week — a disaster that left 17 people dead — was raised to the surface of Table Rock Lake on Monday in an effort overseen by the Coast Guard.

The Ride the Ducks Branson amphibious vessel had 31 people on board when it left the shore Thursday on the lake near Branson, Missouri, as a severe thunderstorm whipped up intense winds and waves.

The Coast Guard surfaced the sunken duck boat on Monday, a process that was expected to last into the afternoon, and plans to then take the boat to a facility for further inspection. The process to lift the boat and tow it to shore involved several divers, a barge crane and water pumps.

Coast Guard Captain Scott Stoermer said the vessel was resting on the bottom of the lake, about 80 feet underwater.

In addition to the salvage effort, investigators are looking into questions about the accident, including ones about the weather, life jackets, the boat and the actions of the crew, officials said.

Vessel changed its route

State investigators are looking into whether any criminal acts were committed, while the National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the cause of the sinking. The NTSB investigation could take up to a year to complete.

State investigators are also examining why the vessel changed the route it took that day, Missouri Attorney General Josh Hawley said Saturday. He could not say whether investigators had spoken with the boat’s captain, one of 14 survivors.

On Thursday, the area around Branson was placed under a severe thunderstorm warning shortly after 6:30 p.m. local, about half an hour before the boat sank. Authorities received the first 911 call about the sinking at 7:09 p.m., according to the Stone County sheriff.

The boat sank 40 feet and then rolled to an area 80 feet deep, said Rader.

Ride the Ducks Branson said it was deeply saddened and that the business would be closed “while we support the investigation, and to allow time to grieve for the families and the community.”

“Words cannot convey how profoundly our hearts are breaking,” it said in a statement. “We will continue to do all we can to assist the families who were involved and the authorities as they continue with the search and rescue.”

(Photo by Brad Parks/CNN.)