INDIANAPOLIS–If you were planning on coming to downtown Indianapolis for New Year’s Eve, then be advised that what would have been Indy’s fifth annual New Year’s Eve Celebration on Georgia Street has been canceled.
Downtown Indy Inc., the nonprofit that promotes downtown Indianapolis, said there were two big reasons for that decision–money and the weather. Last year, subzero temperatures and a surprise snowfall earlier in the day nearly led to a last-minute cancellation of the fun.
Two years ago, the event drew around 40,000 people.
“We’re disappointed that we’re unable to continue offering this free event for the community this year,” said Bob Schultz, senior vice president of events and marketing for Downtown Indy, Inc. “In the end, with the increasing costs of appropriately staging the annual civic celebration on Georgia Street that required extensive lighting, outdoor heating, sound equipment, staging, security, emergency readiness, staffing, etc., we would not be prudent stewards of our nonprofit resources to continue. With that said, we have especially appreciated the Indiana Union Construction Industry’s support as our top presenting sponsor these past four years.”
Schultz also told WISH-TV that this may not be the best use of funds.
“When you think about lighting, staging, sound, security, entertainment, promotion, marketing, staffing, heaters if need be. This is a $200,000–$250,000 event for one hour,” Schultz said.
It’s a decision that could affect bars, restaurants and other business downtown, like the Claddagh Irish Pub where David Church is the General Manager.
“We’ve got tens of thousands of people within a block or two of our business and now they don’t have that event to go to. We could see a drop off,” Church told WISH-TV.
A sampling of Downtown New Year’s Eve event options includes:
- New Year’s Eve at Howl at the Moon, begins at 7 p.m.
- New Year’s Eve Masquerade Ball, Union Station, 8:30 p.m. – 1:30 a.m.
- New Year’s Eve Bash at the Hyatt Regency Indianapolis, begins at 8 p.m.
- New Year’s Eve: A Night at Studio 54, The Pavilion at Pan Am, 9 p.m. – 2 a.m.
- New Year’s Eve Party with The Doo!, The Rathskeller, The Doo! performs from 9 p.m. – 1 a.m.
- Family New Year’s Eve, Indiana State Museum, 6 – 9 p.m.
- Countdown to Noon, The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.