Listen Live

MUNCIE, Ind. — A Muncie man died on Tuesday morning after his house caught on fire.

Delaware County Coroner Rick Howell, identified the man as Phillip Beaty.

Beaty was found in an area of the house that was not damaged by flames, said the Muncie Star Press. Emergency medical personnel tried to resuscitate him at the scene.

Chief Investigator of the Muncie Fire Department, Robert Mead, said they believe the fire started because of smoking in bed.

The fire is under investigation while it waits for the results of toxicology tests.

(Photo by: Thinkstock/blurAZ)