CARMEL, Ind. — A Carmel High School student is giving back to the community by collecting blankets for the homeless.
Sophomore Chris Elmore started the blanket drive two weeks ago. So far he has collected more than 80 blankets. He came up with the idea this past summer, after he knew he was going to start the Young Republicans Club at Carmel High School.
200 blankets are expected to arrive Thursday from the Indiana Donation Network.
“We might sit in our homes and really take that heat for granted,” Elmore said. “But there are a lot of people who aren’t privileged enough to get that opportunity. As a society, I think it’s our duty to help provide that resource to stay warm and stay alive.”
Other high schools like Park Tudor, Zionsville, Fishers, Hamilton Southeastern and Westfield are collecting blankets as well. All blankets will be washed before distribution.
Merciful Help Center in Carmel and two homeless shelters downtown will receive blankets.
Collections will end on Feb. 23.
If you’d like to donate, you can drop them off here:
- Jane Pauley Community Health Center Indianapolis
- Student Impact of Westfield
- Donatello’s in Carmel
- Noblesville Sheriff Department
- Hamilton County Republican Party Office in Washington
- Westfield Washington Public Library
- Butler Auto Collision Center in Carmel
- FC Tucker Company on Veterans Way in Carmel
- Schwartz Bait and Tackle in Noblesville
- Destination Health Group in Carmel
- Cicero Library
(WISH-TV Katie Wisely)
(Photo: Samuel Corum/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)