Indianapolis drivers can expect traffic restrictions due to former Senator Richard Lugar’s funeral procession. According to IMPD, street closures and traffic delays will begin at 9am and end at 4pm. Vice President Mike Pence will be attending the funeral, which will cause delays on the north side and the west side near Indianapolis International Airport.
Here’s what we know:
Near the airport and on the north and west side, expect delays on the interstate around 9am, and then again when the funeral concludes from 2:50pm – 4:00pm.
Metro street closures will begin at 11:30am:
- 11:30am: Delaware St. from Washington St. to Market St. will be closed for the raising of the Garrison flag.
- 11:45am: Capitol Ave will be closed between Ohio St. and Washington St.
- 12:00pm – 1:15pm: 86th St. closed between Meridian St. and Spring Mill RD
- 12:05pm: the funeral procession leaves the Statehouse.
- 12:50pm: Senator Richard Lugar will arrive at St. Luke’s Church
- 1:15pm – 2:45pm: 86th St. will be reduced to one lane traffic each direction. Avoid the area if possible.
- 2:45pm – 3:30pm: expect extended delays on 86th St. between Spring Mill Rd. and Meridian St, and Meridian St. from 86th St. to I-465 as several dignitaries leave the funeral.
- 2:50pm – 4:00pm: expect delays on the north and west interstate systems.
The procession route for Senator Richard Lugar
- South on Capitol Ave to Maryland
- East on Maryland to Delaware
- North on Delaware to Michigan
- West on Michigan to Illinois
- North on Illinois to 34th St.
- East on 34th St to Washington Blvd
- North on Washington Blvd to 43rd
- West on 43rd to Meridian St
- North on Meridian to 86th.
- West on 86th to St. Luke’s Church