Listen Live

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — A 37-year-old man was taken to a hospital in serious condition Monday night after an hourslong standoff with a special weapons and tactics unit at a business on the northwest side.

The man was shot by police. He was awake and breathing when taken to the hospital by ambulance around 10 p.m.

His daughter and other family members tell News 8 his name is Anthony Statzer. Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department would not confirm his name as of late Monday night.

IMPD said the incident began as a burglary in progress shortly after 5 p.m. Police said the man, who claimed to be armed, tried to take a hostage when he first ran in the business but that person escaped immediately with other employees by running out the back door.

A SWAT unit and more than a dozen IMPD cars were northwest of the intersection of West 71st Street and Zionsville Road around 7 p.m. Monday. The vehicles were in the area through much of the night.

Police said during parts of the standoff he took cover or hid in a room that was hidden from sight. But at other times would jump out and point a gun at them from inside.

IMPD would not say the sequence of events that led to the shots being fired. At times they were heard on a loudspeaker for “Anthony” to come out with his hands up so that no one would get hurt.

A witness told News 8 the man broke into a business in an industrial park where he was also acting erratically. He then went across the street to Central Elementary School where he attempted to get into several parked cars including ones where parents were waiting to pick up their children. He had not seen a gun throughout the situation. IMPD was unable to confirm his account.

Police said the man told them he thought each business he tried to break into was not occupied.

After the incident, News 8 spoke with Statzer’s daughter Destany and son Anthony Jr. outside the hospital.

“Not a lot of people understand unless they’ve been through it or they have to love someone with a mental illness,” Destany said. “It’s really hard not just for the families but for that person themselves. He wants help but he doesn’t get the help that he needs.”

She and other family members recorded a statement for police in hopes it would be enough for her father to give himself up.

Destany said her father was not allowed to carry a gun so instead he carried a BB gun, which is what he was waving at officers. At other times during the standoff, she said he was spotted sweeping the floor.

“I understand it was tough for them especially having something waved at them,” she said.

Destany said her father had been to the hospital earlier in the day but had to take the bus home. She said several people made fun of him and so he got upset.

“If he’s listening now, I would definitely like to tell him that I love him so much and that I’m so sorry,” Destany said. “I feel so bad because I know I told him I can’t come and get you and I feel like if I just went and got him, I could have made this situation different. I could have made it better.”

(Photo by WISH-TV.)