WASHINGTON, DC— House Republicans are nominating Majority Leader Steve Scalise to be the next Speaker. The Louisiana lawmaker secured the nomination 113-99 in a closed-door Republican conference meeting today, defeating Ohio Congressman Jim Jordan.
Scalise will now take his candidacy to the House floor where he’ll need to win the support of the majority of the chamber to take control of the gavel.
It’s not clear when there will be a floor vote to elect a new House Speaker. The chamber went on recess Wednesday afternoon.
Kevin McCarthy was ousted from the Speaker’s chair last week.
- Murder Suspect Kevin Mason Captured
- Pacers GM: Contract Extension Talks with Buddy Hield Are “At a Halt” But That Doesn’t Mean They’re Done
- NWS: Expect a Rainy Wednesday Across Indiana
- Pence: Trump Owes it to the American People to Debate
- FOUND: Momo the Monkey on the Loose: Indianapolis’ East Side on High Alert
The Dangers of Brown Friday & How You Can Prepare for the Worst
Police: Woman Killed, Infant Hurt in Head-On Crash with Semi-Truck
ISP: Truck Driver Killed After Exiting Vehicle
Small Plane Crashes Near Shelbyville Airport, Two People Dead
Feds, Rush County Sheriff Search Home In Valerie Tindall's Disappearance
Fitness Studios Say Holding Company Has Not Paid Employees
Fishers Marching Band Appears in 2023 Macy's Parade
Red, White, & Bowl With Hammer & Nigel Presented By Jack Daniels