NEW TRENTON, Ind. (WISH) — Two stranded kayakers were rescued from an island on the Whitewater River on Friday, according to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
At 5 a.m., first responders were sent to an island on the river near the unincorporated community of New Trenton in Franklin County.
Upon their arrival, they rescued 47-year-old Andrew Wissing and 39-year-old Katy Noonan of Sardinia, Ohio.
According to an initial investigation, the two had been kayaking on Thursday when they stopped for the night on the island.
Storms hit the area causing water levels to rise and wash their kayaks away.
An investigation into the incident is ongoing.
- Murder Suspect Kevin Mason Captured
- Pacers GM: Contract Extension Talks with Buddy Hield Are “At a Halt” But That Doesn’t Mean They’re Done
- NWS: Expect a Rainy Wednesday Across Indiana
- Pence: Trump Owes it to the American People to Debate
- FOUND: Momo the Monkey on the Loose: Indianapolis’ East Side on High Alert
The Dangers of Brown Friday & How You Can Prepare for the Worst
Police: Woman Killed, Infant Hurt in Head-On Crash with Semi-Truck
ISP: Truck Driver Killed After Exiting Vehicle
Small Plane Crashes Near Shelbyville Airport, Two People Dead
Feds, Rush County Sheriff Search Home In Valerie Tindall's Disappearance
Fitness Studios Say Holding Company Has Not Paid Employees
Fishers Marching Band Appears in 2023 Macy's Parade
Red, White, & Bowl With Hammer & Nigel Presented By Jack Daniels