GREENWOOD, Ind. — The funeral for State Trooper Aaron Smith is this week. He was killed after being hit by someone driving a car during a police chase last week.
Smith will receive police and military honors because he served both as an Indiana State Trooper and a Sergeant in the Indiana National Guard.
The funeral arrangements are as follows:
- Visitation: 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, Emmanuel Church Greenwood Campus, 1640 West Stones Crossing Rd, Greenwood
- Funeral: 11 a.m. Friday, Emmanuel Church Greenwood Campus
- Burial: Crown Hill Cemetery, 700 W. 38th St, Indianapolis, following a police procession.
The details of the procession, which should begin at 1 p.m., were announced Wednesday.
- Start at Emmanuel Church of Greenwood.
- Exit church lot and turn west on to West Stones Crossing Road to S.R. 135.
- South on S.R. 135 to Whiteland Road.
- East on Whiteland Road to U.S 31.
- North on U.S. 31, by Whiteland High School, into Greenwood then make a small right on to S. Madison Ave.
- North on S Madison Ave to roundabout, first exit east, Smith Valley Rd.
- Continue east on Smith Valley Road where we will pass Trooper Smith’s childhood neighborhood.
- East on Smith Valley Rd and as you make the curve to left it turns into north bound S Emerson Ave.
- Continue north on S Emerson Ave where we will pass by Greenwood Airport to the left, to Stop 11 Rd.
- West on to Stop 11 Road which turns into E Meridian School Rd at East St.
- Continue west to S.R. 135.
- North on S.R 135 to Hanna Ave.
- West on Hanna Ave to Bluff Rd.
- North on Bluff Road to where it turns into West St.
- Continue north on West St passing IFD Station 13 at West St and Ohio St.
- Continue north on West St to New York St.
- East on New York St to Illinois St.
- North on Illinois St to 34th.
- West on 34th St to entrance to Crown Hill Cemetery.
*Note: The ramps from I-65 to Main Street and I-65 to County Line Road will be closed during the procession. The ramp from I-70 to West Street in Indianapolis will also be closed during the procession.*
Smith was 33 years old. He was a 2008 graduate of Whiteland Community High School where he wrestled and played football. Aaron held a private pilot’s license and studied aviation management, graduating from Indiana State University in Terre Haute, IN, in 2014 with a Bachelor of Science degree.
Smith was a member of Emmanuel Church Greenwood Campus where he and his wife Megan served in the children’s ministry.
You can donate to the Aaron Smith Memorial Fund at any Indiana Members Credit Union, or by calling 800-556-9268.
- NWS: Expect a Rainy Wednesday Across Indiana
- Pacers GM: Contract Extension Talks with Buddy Hield Are “At a Halt” But That Doesn’t Mean They’re Done
- Murder Suspect Kevin Mason Captured
- Pence: Trump Owes it to the American People to Debate
- FOUND: Momo the Monkey on the Loose: Indianapolis’ East Side on High Alert
The Dangers of Brown Friday & How You Can Prepare for the Worst
Police: Woman Killed, Infant Hurt in Head-On Crash with Semi-Truck
Small Plane Crashes Near Shelbyville Airport, Two People Dead
Feds, Rush County Sheriff Search Home In Valerie Tindall's Disappearance
ISP: Truck Driver Killed After Exiting Vehicle
Fishers Marching Band Appears in 2023 Macy's Parade
Fitness Studios Say Holding Company Has Not Paid Employees
Indianapolis Firefighter Among More than 20 Arrested in Child Solicitation Sting