RICHMOND, Ind. — The Wayne County Prosecutor, Mike Shipman, has requested the death penalty for the man who is accused of killing Officer Burton.
The prosecutor filed paperwork Friday requesting the death penalty for Phillip Matthew Lee. Lee has pleaded not guilty.
Police say that in August, Richmond Police officer Seara Burton was shot by Lee. Officer Burton and her police dog were called to assist the scene. Family members say that Lee was on meth and did not want to go back to jail.
Officer Burton was taken off life support in September and died September 18th.
- Murder Suspect Kevin Mason Captured
- Pence: Trump Owes it to the American People to Debate
- FOUND: Momo the Monkey on the Loose: Indianapolis’ East Side on High Alert
- NWS: Expect a Rainy Wednesday Across Indiana
- Pacers GM: Contract Extension Talks with Buddy Hield Are “At a Halt” But That Doesn’t Mean They’re Done
The Dangers of Brown Friday & How You Can Prepare for the Worst
Police: Woman Killed, Infant Hurt in Head-On Crash with Semi-Truck
Fitness Studios Say Holding Company Has Not Paid Employees
ISP: Truck Driver Killed After Exiting Vehicle
Small Plane Crashes Near Shelbyville Airport, Two People Dead
Feds, Rush County Sheriff Search Home In Valerie Tindall's Disappearance
Fishers Marching Band Appears in 2023 Macy's Parade
Red, White, & Bowl With Hammer & Nigel Presented By Jack Daniels