FRANKFORT, KY.–At least 16 people have died in flooding that has hit Kentucky this week.
“That number is probably going to get a lot higher,” said Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear.
President Biden is approving a disaster declaration for Kentucky. Beshear has called this “one of the worst flooding events in the commonwealth’s history.” The declaration covers at least a dozen counties.
Indiana Task Force One deployed 32 people to southeastern Kentucky Thursday night. They loaded up supplies like toilet paper, water, and rafts to be ready for search, rescue, and recovery efforts.
Kerry Price lives in Perry County, Kentucky. Her home got swept away by floodwaters.
“911 was busy and I heard it wasn’t even just here. It’s everywhere. The house started to move in, then it hung on an electric line, but the line snapped, and there went the house,” said Price.
Michael Hollan lives in Breathitt County, Kentucky. He got out of his home shortly after high water reached his house.
“It was around the side of the house. Then it was on the stops. I was knee-deep in water when I got out,” said Hollan.
Last year, Indiana Task Force One deployed to Kentucky after a series of tornadoes ripped through parts of the state, one of which caused the collapse of a candle factory that resulted in eight deaths.