Listen Live

INDIANAPOLIS-A woman and her daughter were both seriously injured in a fire that happened Thursday morning on the southeast side of Indianapolis.

The Indianapolis Fire Department was called to a single-story home in the 2300 block of LeGrande Avenue around 2:30. That is near the intersection of Raymond Street and Keystone Avenue. They saw fire coming from the front porch. Two adults and one child live in the home. The grandfather was smoking a cigarette on his front porch and then he went to bed.

“He said they were all asleep and he was awakened by a noise, which was probably the fire on the front porch. They did have working smoke alarms and they did activate, but with the fire being contained mostly to the front porch, there is a good chance they didn’t activate inside the house,” said Rita Reith, battalion chief of the Indianapolis Fire Department.

After he woke up, he woke up his daughter and granddaughter. They all evacuated through the front door. Both the woman and the daughter came away with serious injuries. The mother was taken to Eskenazi Hospital. The daughter was transported to Riley Hospital.

The fire “is believed to have been caused by improperly discarded smoking material on the front porch,” said IFD in a press release.

Firefighters got the fire put out in less than 30 minutes.