INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — The omicron variant has arrived in Indiana.
The Indiana Department of Health (IDOH) on Sunday announced the first case of the variant detected in the state. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Indiana was one of seven states in which Omicron had not been detected.
IDOH says the specimen was collected on Dec. 9 and the omicron variant was detected “this weekend.” in an unvaccinated Hoosier.
The health department encourages Hoosiers to take the following steps to help slow the spread of COVID-19, including the omicron variant:
- Get fully vaccinated if eligible, and get a booster if you are age 16 or older
- Wear well-fitting masks over your nose and mouth in indoor public settings and crowded outdoor settings
- Get tested if you have symptoms or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19
- Stay home if you are sick
- Wash your hands frequently
- Avoid crowds