CLAY COUNTY, Ind. — A suspect has been arrested for the shooting of a Clay County Sheriff’s deputy.
At about 10 a.m. Friday, deputies went to serve a warrant on Joe Hoffman, who was living in a tent along the Eel River near State Road 59 south of Clay City. Hoffman was wanted on multiple charges, including auto theft and resisting law enforcement.
When deputies closed in on Hoffman, he came out of the tent and fired some shots, hitting a deputy in the leg.
The deputy, a 17-year veteran of the department, was given first aid and flown to a hospital by helicopter. His injuries are not life-threatening.
Teams from the Indiana State Police, Terre Haute Police, and several other agencies worked Friday afternoon to track down Hoffman and arrest him.
- NWS: Expect a Rainy Wednesday Across Indiana
- Murder Suspect Kevin Mason Captured
- FOUND: Momo the Monkey on the Loose: Indianapolis’ East Side on High Alert
- Pacers GM: Contract Extension Talks with Buddy Hield Are “At a Halt” But That Doesn’t Mean They’re Done
- Pence: Trump Owes it to the American People to Debate
The Dangers of Brown Friday & How You Can Prepare for the Worst
Police: Woman Killed, Infant Hurt in Head-On Crash with Semi-Truck
Small Plane Crashes Near Shelbyville Airport, Two People Dead
Feds, Rush County Sheriff Search Home In Valerie Tindall's Disappearance
ISP: Truck Driver Killed After Exiting Vehicle
Fishers Marching Band Appears in 2023 Macy's Parade
Fitness Studios Say Holding Company Has Not Paid Employees
Indianapolis Firefighter Among More than 20 Arrested in Child Solicitation Sting