Listen Live

INDIANAPOLIS — An elderly couple is okay, but their barn and tractors are not.

On Tuesday around 9 a.m., the Indianapolis Fire Department responded to a barn fire on Post Road, southeast of Indy.

Battalion Chief Rita Reith says the fire was accidental, caused by an extension cord that shorted out. That cord just so happened to be near diesel fuel and a thousand bales of hay. One spark quickly turned into large flames.

The barn and everything inside was destroyed, including four tractors.

Reith says the 78-year-old man told her he grew up on the property.

“It’s a lifetime of stuff that he had accrued in this barn, and just to watch the fire go up on your property, it was devastating for him,” Reith said.

The man and his wife, their house, and their kittens were all okay.