Listen Live

INDIANAPOLIS — An Indianapolis man was charged Monday with the murder of a woman who was dropped off with gunshot wounds last week at Riley Hospital for Children, where she died.

Joan “Jody” Berry, was initially listed as being in critical condition but died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

Gary Jackson, 39, is accused of shooting Berry and then dropping her off at the hospital, where he ran over her leg and arm.

Surveillance video from the hospital showed a blue Nissan Rogue SUV pull into the emergency room entrance around Wednesday at 6:45 p.m. The video shows the passenger door opening and Berry falling to the ground. The SUV then drove away with the passenger door still open and ran over Berry’s left arm and leg.

Berry was wearing only one shoe and a black, down jacket with bullet holes, according to police.

Jackson was found at the scene of a crash later that night at East 10th Street.

A 911 caller said a man with a gun had tried to carjack someone. The man, later identified as Jackson, was found lying in some bushes outside a house with a gun nearby.

Jackson told police that he’d been driving a blue SUV and that the crash happened after “smoking and drinking with a friend”. He later said he’d been smoking weed.

Jackson also told police, “I think I hurt one of my friends.”

On Thursday, Jackson told police he’d picked Berry up at her home and the two of them had used drugs. Cell phone records showed Berry and Jackson had communicated in the hour leading up to the shooting.

Police got a search warrant for the SUV and found three fired 9 mm cartridge casings in the front passenger-side floorboard of the SUV. The casings were determined to have come from the gun found near Jackson.

Police also found a shoe that matched the one Berry was wearing when she was dropped off at the hospital. Investigators also found feathers matching the ones found in the down jacket Berry had on upon arrival at Riley Hospital for Children.

Jackson is charged with murder, unlawful possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon, carrying a handgun without a license, and leaving the scene of an accident.

A jury trial is set for June 28.